Mad at God? Sure You’ve Got the Right Person?


 by Tim Roberts

Yes - I am calling on the people who claim they are mad at God.

It is funny how quickly we as humans - as God’s children - can turn on Him, faster than white on rice! Many of us have done the same to our parents, blaming them for everything that’s gone wrong in our lives. Our kids now blame us and become mad at us if they don’t get their way.

Hello!?!?! Back the truck up and think for one second!


Where do we get off blaming God for things that went wrong in our life? Where do we get off becoming mad at Him in the first place? He created us in His own image - He loves us so much in fact, that He sent His one and only Son to die for our sins – the same sins that we ourselves committed in the first place by not listening to our Father!

We are quick to blame God for our wrongdoing and even for the sinning we do that goes on still. Instead of listening to God by reading the Bible and going to Him in prayer - we go out and sin, sin, sin! Then, when we get “caught in the act” we blame God for not stopping us or preventing us! Wake up and smell the dark roast coffee for a second! We have been given the Holy Spirit to help us on the right path that leads to Him. God gave us a conscience to know right from wrong; if we mess up it is OUR fault not Gods!

We need to stop being mad at Him for what we have caused!

God gave us the Bible containing His laws for us, and now, the Holy Spirit is with us in our hearts; we know right from wrong - that should be enough to cause us to behave and grow up, taking the blame for what we do and thanking God for lessons well learned and especially to thank Him for the forgiveness we have which came at a very heavy price the heaviest price a parent could ever pay and I should know: I am a proud parent to four great step-kids, three of whom made me a Grandpa.

How could we ever get mad at God for anything after He sent His own Son to die for us so we can be forgiven and one day be with Them both? Our anger, when pointed at God, only hurts us and makes God weep: “For the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” (James 1:20 ESV)

We cannot become angry at God - it does no good, for one thing and for another it’s just not right. As I said - if we mess up it is our fault - not the fault of God. Our fault for not listening and being selfish by doing what we wanted to do. It’s like telling God off: “I’m going to do what I want to do no matter what you say God and if I get into trouble I will blame You for it.” Hello?! Does that make any logical sense at all? No, I think not.

People forget God has a plan! Even when we lose a loved one or something bad happens to a good person who seems to have done nothing wrong. Everything happens for a reason and it’s always for the greater good in the end. We need to take up our cross and act like Christians all the time, not just some of the time. Our actions do speak louder than words - especially to the non believers who look at everything we say and do.

Before I get accused of being a self-righteous so-and-so, let me tell you that, of course, I get mad and do have a temper. But -  I pray to God every day about helping me control it, on the days I don’t lose my temper I make sure to thank God for that day, and when I lose my temper I don’t blame my Father for it – especially if my own actions caused the problem! I take the blame for losing my temper (although it may take me awhile as I am very stubborn, just ask my wife!), but I never blame God for it.  It is who I am as a person, but God uses my weakness for His glory - as I could never speak about anger if I’ve never shown mine.

I pray that those who read this take it deeply in your heart and do what is right. Take the blame on yourself - be mad at yourself if you want- but don’t be mad at God Who did nothing to deserve it.

I pray that those with anger issues, like myself, will one day find the “...peace that surpasses all understanding” (Philippians 4:7).

To God be all the Glory.

Tim Roberts
05/03/11

No comments:

Post a Comment